Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pomodoro Technique

As I was preparing for a business class on Increasing Your Personal Effectiveness, I came across a technique called Pomodoro. We are bombarded with internal and external interruptions that prevent us from focusing on our work tasks. The internal interruptions include - our mind wandering from our work to constantly getting up to get a drink of water or other activities that prevents us from staying on task. External interruptions include phone calls and visitors. The Pomodoro technique involves setting a timer for 25 minutes of uninterrupted time. During that time you are to stay focused on one task. You do not allow yourself a break until the 25 minutes are up. Then you take a five minute break from your work - and return to it for another "Pomodoro" - 25 minute stint. The process is continued for four "Pomodoros", after which you are allowed a 30 minute break.

Just as we focus on the breath in yoga and I am sometimes distracted by movement and comings and goings in the room, I am distracted from my work. Sometimes, I feel like I am constantly working without the progress I would expect for the time invested. So, I decided to try the Pomodoro technique today. It was amazing how much I was able to accomplish when I focused on my projects for 25 minute intervals. I will share this technique with my business classes.

Oh, by the way, my Pomodoros included a 25 minute nap too! I consider that a very important task!

Try the technique and let me know what happens. More details are available on the Internet - just Google "Pomodoro technique"!

No comments:

Post a Comment