Saturday, August 20, 2011

What Are You Afraid Of?

I started a group on Facebook called Fun N' Fit to promote fun activities involving fitness. Our next event is this afternoon at 4:00 p.m. We are doing a yoga pose freeze flash mob. If you are not familiar with the concept - it is an event that happens in a crowded area. One person will start singing a song or dancing a routine out of the blue and within a short time a whole "mob" has emerged out of the crowd to join them. The song or dance finishes and the participants fade back into the crowd. We are going to meet at the fountain at the local mall today and freeze in a yoga pose for two minutes. Our original plan was to do a yoga warm-up routine but we simplified it to a single pose because many students were too fearful of performing it in the mall. Enthusiasm and participant count has been steadily growing since the change.

As the hour draws near I find myself getting a little nervous - which is so out of the ordinary for me. What if no one shows up? (we are meeting 15 minutes early in front of the chocolate store to assure we have enough for a go). What if we get arrested? (we called the mall and let them know we would be doing it and received no objection - and our state and city hasn't made a flash mob illegal yet - so we should be safe - besides I have another instructor set up to teach my class tomorrow if I am unavailable - aka locked up). What if I can't hold a pose for two minutes? (I told students that it was ok if they had to drop their arms or switch their pose to the other foot - it will not be a problem). So every concern has been taken care of.

I recently sent out some marketing packages for my creativity and innovation classes and need to make some follow-up calls - yet I hesitate. What am I afraid of?

It sound like the yoga pose freeze flash mob is perfectly timed. Not only does it encourage people to engage in fitness activities and fun but sometimes the activities can be a little scary. But if we participate and push ourselves out there, we gain back our fearless selves - ready to conquer the world.

I have a feeling at 4:03 today I won't be afraid anymore - how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment