Monday, April 1, 2013

Breathe - Just Breathe

A group of friends signed up for a 5 K race called the Neon Splash Dash.  All of the proceeds from the race were for a charitable organization called Red, White and Blue that assists veterans and their families - a great cause. The race started at 8:00 pm. Now that is my kind of race.  Seven or eight o'clock in the morning always seemed like such a painful time to wake up and run around like crazy for a night owl.  Finally, sensible race organizers, starting a race at a time that matches my energy level - when I am fully awake and engaged in the day and ready to roll. 

The race organizers encouraged white t-shirts so that the neon paint that would be sprayed on us during the race would show up under the black lights the best.  Costumes were also encouraged with tutus being the design of choice but my group opted out of the contest this time. I am sure I can motivate some of them to partake next year - hehe - always an optimist.  I planned to run the entire race, after all, 5 K doesn't seem that far.  The others already knew that walking was their preferred method of making it across the finish line.  The race was packed with close to 10,000 runners decorated with all varieties of neon and flashing and glow in the dark gadgets.  It was cool - very cool.  It took some time for the waves of runners/walkers to move forward so that we finally reached the starting line. Then - we were off! 

I started off at a slow shuffle as hundreds of us made it up the hill and across the bridge. It finally thinned out enough so that I was able to start a nice run dodging back and forth between walkers.  I found a clear spot and reached a rhythmic pace with what I thought were good breathing techniques.  About ten minutes later I had to slow down to ease a mild pain in my side - most likely from not breathing correctly. Had it really been that long since I had raced that I forgot how to breathe?  Yes.  I focused on correcting my breath work and picked up the pace again.  Just about to cross the finish line, I stopped and walked over to the side to keep an eye out for my walking friends so that we could cross the finish line together.  A group of familiar faces splattered with paint strolled by a while later and I joined them for the final steps across the finish line with smiles on all our faces.

It doesn't matter how good your run, walk, arm swinging or shuffle looks - it's the breath underneath it all that makes it successful.

In yoga I am always reminding the students to breathe. "It doesn't matter what your pose looks like - if you are breathing you are still doing yoga. If the breath isn't right - the pose won't be."

Whether you are about to stand up and speak to a crowd - or have a difficult conversation with someone - use your breath to relax and get in the right frame of mind - and the rest will be easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment