Monday, April 27, 2020

Boxing Yourself In



Since the locations where I teach yoga closed down for the Stay at Home orders, I've started to do a few Facebook Live yoga sessions. I vary them from an evening event to a crack of dawn class time and have many happy faithful followers. I always try to focus on something different in each class - maybe strength one day and more flexibility on another day. The other day I crisscrossed two mats since I am always turning and trying to show poses from different angles. I frequently set up like that in class as it keeps some padding under my body at all times. I also have a wonderful giant circular mat that I love - but it is cumbersome to drag to the gym all the time.

I received a comment after my last Facebook Live class that the yogi had seen a lot of things but had never seen what I did that day in the class. She learned something new. She loved the crisscrossed mats and was going to make that her norm from now on. Sometimes things become such a habit to us that we really don't think about them. I like it when people point out something that clicked with them. It is always something different for each person.

It's interesting to me that in most every class I've attended the yoga mats are all set up in the same direction (mine too) facing toward the instructor. In very crowded classes it is almost a necessity to make sure everyone can fit in. It seems to set up a barrier though, that you need to stay on your mat and you can't go outside of your "box".

There are many poses and activities in my class that require you to step off your mat or roll around on the floor. Most people jump right in and enjoy the activities. Some stay on their mats - not because they are concerned about being out of their box, but because they may not be into rolling around on the floor. In many cases, we don't realize how we have set up a boundary for ourselves and our activities. So many times we follow along without really thinking about if there is another way. This has been working so we don't think about other options.

What boundaries have you set up for yourself? Are you aware of any? Do they inhibit your activity? Your progress? How often do you just do things one way because that is the way you've always done it? What needs to change?

#SWOW


No comments:

Post a Comment