Friday, January 8, 2010

How's the Weather? - Don't You Wish You Were Here?

My brother sent me a text from California yesterday bragging about the sunny warm weather. He then asked "How is it there?" knowing very well that we were going to get temperatures below freezing that night. I could almost hear his sinister laugh as he sent the text. I responded that this week it was cold but I should be back in my bathing suit in a week or two - like I was the week before.

I remember a business trip to San Diego in the middle of our Texas winter. I came out of a store that was up on a hill right at sunset. It was so incredibly beautiful I stopped in my tracks in the middle of the parking lot. For safety's sake I found a bench on the sidewalk and sat down to enjoy the incredible view. I was amazed at all of the other people around me continuing to walk in and out of the stores, and get in and out of their cars without stopping. How could they not pause and look at what I was looking at? Maybe they were just so used to it being perfect all the time that it didn't phase them anymore. How sad.

Getting outside today in the chilly 30 degree weather reminded me that I wouldn't really be able to appreciate the 60 degree weather we are likely to get in a week or two if I wasn't freezing today. We must have a few tough times to enjoy the good. It makes it so much sweeter.

The same applies to yoga. How much more incredible it is for the person who has not been able to touch their toes to actually do it one day. For the person who could never do the splits to actually get down all the way to the floor some day (that would be me!). I delight in these "YES!!!" moments for my students and for myself. But remember - the journey itself is also to be enjoyed. So - don't fret the freeze - enjoy this moment and the inevitable return of the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment