Thursday, June 3, 2010

Make Me Do It

When you walk in the door of your house at the end of a long hard work day, what you really need is some time to chill and make the transition from work to the family. A friend was telling his story about coming home from work, having solved problems all day and just wanting some time to relax and slow down before greeting his young son and hearing about the antics of the day. His wife, a stay at home mom, looks forward to the time when he gets home so she can enjoy adult conversation and usually starts to share her day the moment he comes through the door. I referenced the "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus" book. The author describes how a man (and women do too!) needs a cave to escape to and a few minutes to transition before being ready to talk. He said his wife read the book but doesn't do it. I suggested she get a coach - someone to encourage her to practice the principles in the book.

I teach yoga and other fitness classes. My schedule makes me do the exercise. I have to be at a certain place at a certain time to teach, which guarantees I will exercise. I love it too so it is not hard to do, but that is beside the point.

What can you do to make sure you implement learning you have experienced through training or reading or keep up with an exercise program? I suggest you get a sidekick to encourage you and keep you motivated. It can be a friend or a professional coach. Try it, you will like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment