Saturday, June 5, 2010

You Told Me To Do It

The general public does not have the advantage I have in understanding some of the things that are going on behind the scenes with the Gulf Oil disaster. I have some direct conections within the "Company" and find the discrepancies between the breaking news headlines and comments from high officials, and the real story upsetting. But what disturbed me recently were comments from companies somewhat indirectly involved in the disaster. They claim that they will not have any legal obligations because they were told by the "Company" to do certain things against their better judgment (that is what they say - we really don't know that for a fact). My question is "What happened to their better judgment?" Why did they not stop something they didn't feel was right or they had knowledge of was wrong? Do they always just do what the "boss" says to do?

In yoga class I provide verbal instructions for poses as well as actually performing the pose for a visual reference. I also make recommendations for modifications. I let participants know that if they have injuries or a pose doesn't feel right or forces them to breath through their mouth instead of their nose (a sign they are struggling) they should back off or not do the pose at all. I trust them to know their bodies and know what is working and what is not working for them. I would not want them to keep pushing a pose or continue struggling if they knew it was not right for them just because I told them to do it. I believe these instructions and my participants' common sense (i.e. better judgment) keep them injury free.

No comments:

Post a Comment