Sunday, September 23, 2012

It Never Hurts to Ask

I was seated at the dining table at a business dinner meeting.  The table was crowded with plates and silverware, a view obstructing centerpiece, coffee mugs and an assortment of drinking glasses.  In front of each place setting was a scrumptious looking dessert.  The desserts alternated with divine chocolate cake at one setting and a traditional cheesecake at the next seat. Unfortunately for the chocolate lover in me, I ended up seated with cheesecake in front of me - all the while eyeing the chocolate cake my tablemate was about to devour. I flagged down a waiter and asked if there was a possibility of getting the chocolate cake instead.  He disappeared from the dining area and appeared a few short minutes later with chocolate cake in his hand.  He proudly delivered it straight to my waiting fork.  Other ladies at the table and surrounding tables with uneaten cheesecake sitting in front of them, carefully watched every move of the waiter as he delivered the slice of chocolate heaven to my table.  "How did you get that?", some inquired.  "I just asked the waiter", I replied and told them they could too.  You can get whatever you want in a hotel.  And they did.  Soon every woman around me and several men were eating chocolate cake with devilish grins on their faces.

I must confess I read a "trashy" novel at the beginning of the summer.  It was actually a trilogy.  My friends anxiously awaited their turn to borrow my books.  The book binding wasn't of the highest quality and it wasn't long before pages and 1/2 inch thick chunks of pages started to fall out of the cover.  I wrote to the publisher regarding the binding.  They called me after receiving my letter and said they would be sending me replacements for all of the books.  

It never hurts to ask.  

I waited outside the group exercise room for the class before us to finish so we could begin our yoga session.  I was subbing the class for another instructor.  One lady, that I have known for years since "Reebok Step" was a popular workout format, saw me and declared that she was leaving.   "You are NOT leaving", I retorted.  "Oh - yes I am.  You are too hard", she replied. I repeated that she was NOT to leave.  I went to the back room to turn out the lights and when I returned she was still there. She stayed.  I modified the class to fit the yoga level of the attendees.  My lady that was going to leave thoroughly enjoyed the class and thanked me vehemently as she left.  "I just listened to what you were really asking for and gave it to you.  Thank you for letting me know".  

It never hurts to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment