Saturday, April 17, 2010

Where Were You Last Week?

I sponsored my neighbor's son for his confirmation in the Catholic Church last night. I was there when the boy was born - which was an exciting tearful ceremony and I was there last night - which was a slightly tearful and exciting in a different way ceremony. His Eminence (I love that - his eminence) the Daniel Cardinal DiNardo said the mass and conducted the ceremony. I love to listen to him speak. He is clear and straightforward and funny. He said the mass for my sons and conducted their confirmation ceremony a few years ago when he was a bishop. The oldest said he would go to church every day if the Cardinal was saying the mass (I am sure I could find out where the Cardinal will be every day and get my son to live up to that one!) because he enjoyed his sermons so much. The Cardinal was presenting his sermon and was telling the story of Jesus appearing to the disciples after his death. "Jesus said Peace Be With You - he didn't say Where Were You Last Week?" I laughed as I thought of my yoga students.

Sometimes they are late for class and apologize. I smile and say - "It's not a problem - I'm glad you're here. It is always ok to come in no matter how late you are". Sometimes they tell me they are going to be gone or tell me why they missed the last ten classes and I am always glad they are back. No need to apologize. I won't grill you to find out where you were last week or why you won't be here next week. I'm just glad you are here now.

No comments:

Post a Comment